Value Chains and Value Chain Analysis
ACDI/VOCA uses value chains, specifically value chain analysis, to understand private sector development in emerging economy settings to jumpstart economic growth and poverty reduction.
ACDI/VOCA's value chain approach is unique in that it uses a participatory, stakeholder-driven approach to exploit opportunities for investment and growth in industries with high levels of micro and small enterprise (MSE) involvement.
Relationships Key for Market Chains
The value chain approach analyzes the firms in a market chain—from input suppliers to final buyers—and the relationships among them.
It analyzes the factors influencing industry performance, including access to and the requirements of end markets; the legal, regulatory and policy environment; coordination between firms in the industry; and the level and quality of support services.
Relationships among firms in an industry can facilitate production and marketing efficiencies and enable the flow of information, learning, resources and benefits.
ACDI/VOCA works with industry stakeholders to strengthen or restructure relationships and address resource constraints to increase the global competitiveness of the industry and the ability of small firms to contribute to and benefit from this competitiveness.
Vibrant Value Chains Drive Economic Growth
Working with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), other donors, local governments and industry leaders, ACDI/VOCA promotes MSE access to critical technical, financial and business services to increase efficiency, improve quality and benefit from new markets.
Strengthening at the Firm and Market Levels
ACDI/VOCA provides technical assistance at the firm level to improve capacity to benefit from market opportunities, better inputs and more productive technology.
At the market level, ACDI/VOCA alleviates constraints along competitive value chains by supporting suppliers of critical support services and by improving the business enabling environment to increase the contribution of the industry to economic growth and poverty reduction.
- Ethiopia – Agricultural Growth Program-Agribusiness and Market Development (AGP-AMDe)
- Ethiopia – Feed Enhancement for Ethiopian Development II (FEED II)
- Ghana – Agricultural Development and Value Chain Enhancement II (ADVANCE II) Project
- Global – Leveraging Economic Opportunities (LEO)
- Indonesia – Cocoa Innovations Project (CIP)
- Kenya – Resilience and Economic Growth in the Arid Lands–Accelerated Growth
- Mali – Mopti Coordinated Area Development Program (Mali III)
- Mali – USAID Cereal Value Chain (CVC) Project
- Mozambique – Livelihoods Empowerment and Development (LEAD)
- Tanzania – Tanzania Staples Value Chain (NAFAKA)
- Zambia – Production, Finance, and Improved Technology Plus (PROFIT+)
A Selection of Past Projects
- Bolivia – Onion Quality Improvement and Marketing Project
- East Africa – GBTI II Task Order - East Africa Value Chains Assessment Project
- Ecuador – Local Business Development Project
- Egypt – Agricultural Exports and Rural Incomes - Dairy and Livestock
- Egypt – Agricultural Exports and Rural Incomes - Horticulture
- Ethiopia – Agricultural Cooperatives in Ethiopia (ACE) Program
- Ethiopia – Pastoralist Livelihoods Initiative-Livestock Marketing (PLI-LM)
- Georgia – AgVANTAGE
- Global – Accelerated Microenterprise Advancement Project-Business Development Services Knowledge and Practice I (AMAP BDS K&P I)
- Global – Accelerated Microenterprise Advancement Project—Business Development Services Knowledge and Practice II (AMAP BDS K&P II)
- Global – Value Chain Development for Conflict-Affected Environments
- Haiti – Value Chain Analysis
- India – Growth-Oriented Microenterprise Development Program (GMED)
- India – Implementation Grant Proposal (IGP)
- India – Partnership for Innovation and Knowledge in Agriculture
- Indonesia – Agribusiness Marketing and Support Activity (AMARTA) II
- Kenya – Kenya Maize Development Program (KMDP)
- Kenya – Short-Term Technical Assistance
- Lebanon – Action for Sustainable Agro-Industry in Lebanon (ASAIL)
- Lebanon – Lebanon Business Linkages Initiative
- Mali – Agriculture Development Systems Activity (ADSA)
- Mali – Integrated Initiatives for Economic Growth in Mali (IICEM)
- Moldova & Ukraine – RAISE PLUS Agricultural Policy, Legal and Regulatory Reform Project
- Paraguay – Productivo
- Philippines – Enhanced and Rapid Improvement of Community Health (EnRICH)
- Philippines – SUCCESS Alliance Phase II
- Sudan – Agricultural Markets and Enterprise Development (AMED)
- Tanzania – Smallholder Horticulture Outgrower Promotion (SHOP)
- Tanzania – Sustainable Environmental Management through Mariculture Activities (SEMMA)