Communities, as centers of power, influence, and economic opportunity, are fundamental building blocks of all societies. They are also natural development partners for ACDI/VOCA.
ACDI/VOCA applies community-driven development approaches to contribute to livelihoods, alternative development, and community stabilization. Through these efforts, we help create the basic conditions and fundamental building blocks for sustainable and equitable development.
Promoting Sustainable Livelihoods
We assist them in identifying market-based economic opportunities that have long-term potential. Our support includes value chain activities, climate-smart agriculture, micro and small business development, and vocational training and employment programs.
Supporting the Transition from Illicit to Licit Livelihoods
In countries where segments of the population have become dependent upon production of illicit crops or the illegal extraction of natural resources, we help communities develop the skills to engage in profitable alternative-livelihood activities.
These activities often include small-scale infrastructure components, as well as interventions to educate the population about existing polices and strengthen government so it is better able to enforce these policies and deliver services.
Building Trust in Communities Emerging from Conflict
In environments that are emerging from or currently in conflict, we address multifaceted challenges to revitalize economies, rebuild infrastructure, and instill a culture of participatory decision making into the local government process.
We also enhance local governments’ ability to identify, articulate, and meet the needs of their constituencies, and we build the capacity of citizens to advocate for and obtain resources for priority community needs.
A Selection of Past Projects
- Afghanistan – Alternative Livelihoods Program
- Afghanistan – Incentives Driving Economic Alternatives for the North, East and West (IDEA-NEW)
- Bolivia – Community Development Activity Fund (CDAF)
- Bolivia – Integrated Community Development Fund (ICDF)
- Bolivia – Special Development Activity Fund (SDAF)
- Bolivia – Water Supply and Sanitation Activity
- Colombia – ACIP-INCODER
- Colombia – USAID Specialty Coffee Program
- East Timor – NGO Sector Strengthening Program
- East Timor – Strengthening Property Rights Project
- Iraq – Community Action Program II (CAP II)
- Iraq – Community Action Program III
- Iraq – Community Action Program (CAP)
- Iraq – Consultative Service Delivery Program II
- Iraq – Consultative Service Delivery Program (CSDP)
- Iraq – Consultative Services Delivery Initiative (CSDI)
- Kazakhstan & Kyrgyzstan – Community Action Investment Program (CAIP)
- Liberia – Agriculture for Children’s Empowerment (ACE)
- Liberia – Land Rights and Community Forestry Project (LRCFP)
- Liberia – Liberia Forestry Support Program (LFSP)
- Nicaragua – Community Development Program
- Panama – Darién Community Development Program
- Paraguay – Iniciativa Zona Norte (IZN) Program
- Paraguay – Paraguay National Police Community Outreach (PNPCO) Program
- Paraguay – Paraguay Resiliency Program (PRP)
- Peru – Supporting Licit Communities
- Philippines – Assistance for Resource Monitoring & Information/Multi-Sectoral Environmental Monitoring Project (ARMI/MSEMP)
- Philippines – Building Unity for Continuing Coconut Industry Reform (BUCO)
- Philippines – Enhanced and Rapid Improvement of Community Health (EnRICH)
- Philippines – Fisherfolk Advocacy for Sustainable Aquatic Reform (FASAR) Project
- Philippines – Philippines-Australia Women’s Health Training Project (WHTP)
- Philippines – Sustainable Health Improvements through Empowerment and Local Development (SHIELD)
- Russia – North Caucasus Agricultural Development Project
- Serbia – Community Revitalization through Democratic Action (CRDA)
- Sierra Leone – Promoting Agriculture, Governance and Environment (PAGE)
- South Sudan – Building Responsibility for the Delivery of Government Services (BRIDGE) Program